Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Ike and Tina inspire my romantic ideals, I am still going to die alone.


Gentle Reader,
I ask you today, have you ever been in love?

If you are like me, it conjures up a caucophany of terrible associations. That having been said, let me revise my initial question,

Dear Reader,

Have you ever fancied yourself to be in love with someone who loathes you?

I know this feeling well, having spent the majority of my young adult life in unrequited love, and so the images that come to my mind are usually of myself in various corners (bedrooms, dormrooms, parties, Robertitos?) often in a fetal position (mostly in sweatpants) listening to songs about, yes you guessed it, failed love.

I don’t understand it exactly, but it seems to be some sort of visceral reaction to someone not being interested in me that elicits my passionate response (he must be perceptive indeed, if he hates me as much as I hate me).

Endless meta-cognitive activity devoted to projected interactions at strategically situated social events, interactions usually stultified by the aforementioned slumping in the corner, as we see the hero of our story take home the Belle and Sebastian caricature girl with (and shall we speculate it to be premeditated) a predilection for taking pictures of herself in ‘the outdoors’ (typically clad in weather inappropriate vintage summer dresses). Hours spent regaling your story to your friends, exploring the subtle nuances of the hero asking to borrow a pencil in your Marxist Literature class or coming down to the dining hall at your regular time for luncheon “what do you think that means, Emily?” The warm comfort of weekend nights spent alone pining over the loss of someone who you make uncomfortable, Morrissey’s animalistic moaning providing you with solace in this time of need. Your dorm mate turns to you and says, “I liked you better when you were LESS introspective.”

In honor of this complex and beautiful feeling called L-O-V-E, Let me share with you some of my favorite songs about love:





1 comment:

  1. Oh man! Suede! One of my exes try to instate "Trash" as Our Song, before finally admitting that it had nothing to do with "us" and everything to do with it being his anthem against hipster culture. Anyway, I'm so glad you're blogging now.

    ReplyDelete